Doctrine & Covenants and Church History
With an archive of 50 years of articles, BYU Studies
is an excellent resource
to assist you in your study of the Doctrine and Covenants. For each lesson, we've
listed articles from our journal as well as chapters from books and sections from
the Encyclopedia of Mormonism
for you to peruse. Most of the articles are
free, as well as all of the entries from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism.
There is a small fee to access chapters from books or articles from
very recent issues of our journal. However, if you are a
BYU Studies subscriber
you will have unlimited access to all of our content.
1. "Introduction to the Doctrine and Covenants and Church History"
The Doctrine & Covenants addresses the needs of our day
The Lord is the author of the Doctrine & Covenants
This course will cover the major events of this dispensation
2. "Behold, I Am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World"
The Doctrine & Covenants testifies of Christ
The Atonement of Christ (D&C 19)
The roles, attributes, and titles of Christ
The way for Joseph Smith was prepared
The First Vision ushered in the restoration of the gospel
Truths revealed in the First Vision
4. "Remember the New Covenant, Even the Book of Mormon"
Joseph was prepared to translate the Book of Mormon
Miraculous preservation of the Book of Mormon
Securing the Copyright
5. "This Is the Spirit of Revelation"
Obtaining personal revelation
6. "I Will Tell You in Your Mind and in Your Heart, by the Holy Ghost"
How the Holy Ghost speaks to us
7. "The First Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel"
First Principles and Ordinances
Comparison with Calvanism
8. "The Restoration of the Priesthood"
What is the priesthood?
Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood, ministry of angels
Restoration of the Melchizedek Priesthood, keys
Priesthood to all worthy males
Blessings of the priesthood to women
9. "The Only True and Living Church"
Organization of the Church in 1830
10. "This Is My Voice unto All"
11. "The Field Is White Already to Harvest "
12. "The Gathering of My People"
13. "This Generation Shall Have My Word through You"
Doctrines restored by Joseph Smith
14. "The Law of Consecration"
Law of Consecration in Ohio
15. "Seek Ye Earnestly the Best Gifts"
Gifts of the Spirit
16. "Thou Shalt … Offer Up Thy Sacraments upon My Holy Day"
17. "The Law of Tithing and the Law of the Fast"
18. "Establish … a House of God"
Kirtland Temple Dedication
19. "The Plan of Salvation"
The Plan of Salvation
Purpose of Life
Life after Death
20. "The Kingdoms of Glory"
Kingdoms of Glory, Celestial Kingdom (D&C 76)
21. "Looking Forth for the Great Day of the Lord to Come"
22. "The Word of Wisdom: 'A Principle with Promise'"
Word of Wisdom
23. "Seek Learning, Even by Study and Also by Faith"
Scripture Study, Study and Faith, Seek Learning
24. "Be Not Deceived, but Continue in Steadfastness"
Avoiding Individual Apostasy
25. "Priesthood: 'The Power of Godliness'"
Priesthood Offices, Quorums, Councils
26. "Go Ye into All the World, and Preach My Gospel"
Missionary Work, in all the world
27. "They Must Needs Be Chastened and Tried, Even as Abraham"
Zion Camp is organized and marches to Missouri
Enduring in spite of Adversity
28. "O God, Where Art Thou?"
The Savior's Suffering for Us
29. "Building the Kingdom of God in Nauvoo, Illinois"
Nauvoo, Building the Kingdom
30. "The Prisoners Shall Go Free"
Baptism for the Dead (D&C 127-128)
31. "Sealed … for Time and for All Eternity"
Marriage (D&C 132)
32. "To Seal the Testimony"
Martyrs (D&C 135)
33. "President Brigham Young Leads the Saints"
Brigham Young Leads the Saints
34. "Faith in Every Footstep"
Winter Quarters, pioneer heritage
35. "A Mission of Saving"
Willie and Martin Handcart rescue
36. "The Desert Shall Rejoice, and Blossom as the Rose"
Building the Salt Lake Temple, early missions 1850-1890
37. "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet"
President of the Church
Self-reliance, staying out of debt
39. "The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn to Their Fathers"
Elijah 3 April 1836, Work for the Dead, D&C 138
40. "Finding Joy in Temple and Family History Work"
Family history, journal keeping
41. "Every Member a Missionary"
Assisting in missionary work, helping new converts
42. "Continuing Revelation to Latter-day Prophets"
Official Declaration 2
43. "Take upon You My Whole Armor"
Armor of God, chastity, honesty, profanity
44. "Being Good Citizens"
Keeping the laws of the land
45. "The Family Is Ordained of God"
Proclamation on the Family
46. "Zion—The Pure in Heart"
Zion, pure in heart