Photograph of Children Traveling to the Salt Lake Temple Dedication, 1893
In early 1893, the Latter-day Saints eagerly anticipated the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple, the culmination of more than forty years of effort and struggle. To allow as many Saints as possible to participate, President Wilford Woodruff announced that a series of dedicatory sessions would be held. To accommodate the many Sunday School children who had "donated of their means to assist in building the Salt Lake Temple . . . and [had] expressed a desire to visit the Temple at its dedication," the First Presidency set aside April 21 and 22 for the youth of the Church to visit the temple. This photograph shows one ward's children on their way to the dedication.