Volume 7 Chapter 37

[Page 534]

Chapter 37

Dedication of Parts of the Temple—Endowments Given—Roman Catholic Efforts to Purchase the Temple and Other Nauvoo Property—The Church in England—United States Federal Charges of Counterfeiting against Church Authorities—Church Publications for 1845

Dedication of the Attic Story of the Temple—Brigham Young.

Sunday November 30, 1845.—At ten a.m. I went to the attic story of the Temple with Elders Heber C. Kimball, Willard Richards, Parley P. Pratt, John Taylor, Orson Hyde, George A. Smith, and Amasa Lyman, of the Quorum of the Twelve; also Newel K. Whitney and George Miller, Presiding Bishops; John Smith, Patriarch and President of the Stake, Joseph Young, President of the Seventies, Alpheus Cutler and R. Cahoon, Temple Committee, Cornelius P. Lott, Levi Richards, Joseph C. Kingsbury, Orson Spencer, Wm. W. Phelps, Isaac Morley, Lucien Woodworth. At about 12 o’clock, sang ‘Come All Ye Sons of Zion’.

I requested Wm. Clayton to keep minutes. I then offered up prayer and dedicated the attic story of the Temple and ourselves to God, and prayed that God would sustain and deliver us his servants from the hands of our enemies, until we have accomplished his will in this house. Elder Taylor then sang ‘A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief’, after which Elder Heber C. Kimball prayed, that the Lord would hear and answer the prayers of his servant Brigham, and break off the yoke of our enemies and inasmuch as they lay traps for the feet of his servants that they may fall into them themselves and be destroyed—that God would bless his servant Joseph Young, heal his wife, and bless his family—that God would bless and heal his own [Elder Kimball’s] family and asked for the same blessings on all our families which he had asked for Joseph Young and himself.

[Page 535]

Officers at the Door of the Temple Waiting for Brigham Young.

Hans C. Hanson, the doorkeeper reported that there were two officers waiting at the foot of the stairs for me. I told the brethren that I could bear to tarry here where it was warm as long as they could stay in the cold waiting for me. Elder Amasa Lyman requested hands to be laid on him that he might be healed; five of the brethren laid hands on him.

Joseph Young prayed that our enemies might have no power over our leaders, he prayed for our brethren in England and on the Islands of the Sea; Brothers Babbitt, Turley and the Reddens—also that the Trustees might have means to liquidate all the debts.

Assignment of Rooms in the Temple Attic.

The side rooms were occupied as follows

The first, in the southeast corner as a private office.

The second by Heber C. Kimball, W. Richards and myself. The third and fourth by others of the Twelve; Fifth, by Joseph Young and Presidency of the Seventies; Sixth, for washing and anointing the elders.

On the north side: first, bishops and lesser priesthood. Second, president of the stake and high council; third and fourth, high priests’ quorum; fifth elders quorum; sixth, washing and anointing room occupied by the sisters.

Hans C. and Peter O. Hanson were appointed to see to the fires, keep watch and guard the doors.

Wagon Makers.

Every hundred have established one or more wagon shops; wheelrights, carpenters and cabinetmakers are nearly all foremen wagon makers, and many not mechanics are at work in every part of the town preparing timber for making wagons. The timber is cut and brought into the city green; hub, spoke, and felloe timber boiled in salt and water, and other parts kiln dried; shops are established at the Nauvoo House, Masonic Hall, and Arsenal, nearly every shop in town is employed in making wagons.

[Page 536]

Teams are sent to all parts of the county to purchase iron; blacksmiths are at work night and day and all hands are busily engaged getting ready for our departure westward as soon as possible.

Conditions in Nauvoo.

Very few sales of property are being made, the citizens of the country around instead of aiding us to sell our property, are using their influence to discourage sales and the authorities constantly haunt us with vexatious writs, efforts are making to bring us into collision with the authorities of the United States by means of vexatious writs from the federal courts. The brethren are doing their utmost to prepare amidst all the discouragements that surround us for a general exodus in the spring; but from the manner that our neighbors have kept their faith, it is very apparent that as soon as the strength of Israel is gone, that the remainder will be in danger of violence, from our cruel persecutors, the promises of governors, generals, judges, conventions of citizens, and mob leaders, and their hounds to the contrary notwithstanding; but we trust in God, we praise him that we have been thus far able to prepare his Temple for the ordinances of the priesthood, and we feel full of confidence that he will hear our prayers and deliver his unoffending people from the power of their enemies, and lead us to a land where we can enjoy peace for a season.

Foreign Affairs

Elder Wilford Woodruff attended the Glasgow conference (Scotland). The branches comprising the conference were represented and contained 1181 members, including one high priest, 44 elders, 31 priests, 40 teachers and 30 deacons; sixty-eight were baptized since last conference.

Elder James Houston left Nauvoo, November 1, 1842, on a mission to preach the gospel in company with Elder Samuel Mulliner. They labored in Niagara county, New York, until the following summer, when Elder Houston, according to counsel, proceeded to Scotland, where he labored for about two years, mostly in the Glasgow conference; raising up a branch in Lanark. While on his mission he baptized 95 persons. He left Liverpool in charge of the company of saints that sailed on the Oregon in September, 1845, and returned to Nauvoo, November 15th.

Monday, December 1, 1845.—I met with several of the Twelve, the Temple Committee, and Trustees in the council chamber over the store.

Roman Catholic Effort to Purchase the Public Buildings at Nauvoo.

Letters were read from J. B. Purcell, 1 Catholic bishop of Cincinnati, the Catholic bishop at Detroit, and other gentlemen, inquiring after the property and lands for sale in Nauvoo and vicinity.

Elder Almon W. Babbitt made a report of his mission to St. Louis, Cincinnati and Chicago, relative to the disposition of property in Hancock county; and said the Catholics were making considerable exertions to have the members of their church purchase our property. They were very anxious to lease the Temple, but were not able to buy it. Mr. Quarters, the bishop at Chicago, has sent an agent who may probably enter into some arrangements for our property, he is expected tomorrow.

Brother Albert P. Rockwood was instructed to rent the upper stream mill for four months.

Bishop Miller answered a letter from Thomas H. Owen, 2 giving him an estimate of lands for sale in the several settlements in Hancock county under cultivation.

[Page 537]

Offer to Sell Nauvoo Property at Fifty Per Cent Valuation.

Tuesday, 2.—I received a letter from Messrs. Duncan and Co. of Bloomington, stating that a heavy firm in Philadelphia wished to know the condition and situation of our property, terms, etc., as they wished to buy, and for their ability to do so referred us to Sheriff Backenstos and others; they proposed to pay specie for the whole, if a bargain were concluded.

[Page 538]

The council returned answer by letter that if their agent or agents would come here and examine the property, that we would sell the whole or any part of the city of Nauvoo, owned by our people, or the farms in the county, for fifty per cent under the valuation of like property, similarly situated in this country.

I spent the day in the Temple making preparations for the endowments.

Vacancies in the First Council of the Seventy Filled.

Evening, Elders Heber C. Kimball, Orson Hyde, Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith and I ordained Albert P. Rockwood, Benjamin L. Clapp and Jedediah M. Grant Presidents over the First Quorum of Seventies, filling vacancies which had been occasioned by the death of Daniel S. Miles, the apostasy of Josiah Butterfield, and the neglect of Roger Orton.

Spent an hour in prayer.

Thursday, 4.—I was engaged with several of the Twelve fitting up the Temple preparatory to administering the ordinances of endowment.

Evening, the council met for prayer in the Temple.

Friday, 5.—Eight a.m., Brother Heber C. Kimball and I called on Dr. Richards who was sick, we proceeded to the Temple and were engaged in fitting up the upper rooms.

The Lord’s Sacrament in the Temple.

Sunday, 7.—I met with the Twelve and others in the Temple. We partook of the sacrament, exhorted each other and prayed.

Monday, 8.—I have been actively engaged in the Temple since the painters finished, fitting up the apartments and preparing the rooms for administering endowments.

[Page 539]

Tuesday, 9.—Forenoon, in the Temple.

Four p.m., Elders Heber C. Kimball, Orson Hyde, Parley P. Pratt, Willard Richards, John Taylor, George A. Smith, Amasa Lyman, Joseph L. Haywood, and I met at the Historian’s Office with Father Tucker from Quincy and Father Hamilton from Springfield.

Further Roman Catholic Inquiry into Purchase of Nauvoo Property.

Father Tucker stated that Father Hamilton and himself had come here by direction of the bishop of Chicago, to see and inquire into the situation of the land and property for sale in and around Nauvoo.

I informed them that we would so reduce the value of the property as to make it an object for a society or speculators; and we wish to hand it over to the Catholics and so keep out those who want to have our property for nothing.

Evening, we wrote out propositions for the sale of our lands for the benefit of the Catholic deputation.

Wednesday, 10.—Nine a.m., I went to the Temple, weather fine, but cold.

I fitted up the curtains on the east windows, Brother Heber C. Kimball and wife, Sisters Parley P. Pratt and N. K. Whitney assisted me.

Catholic Inspection of the Temple.

Eleven a.m., Messrs. Tucker and Hamilton, Catholics, were admitted into the Temple to an audience with the Quorum of the Twelve and a few other brethren.

The propositions for sale of our lands were handed, by Brother Orson Hyde, to Father Tucker, who perused them, and handed them to Father Hamilton, his colleague. I gave him an explanation of the design of the rooms in the Temple, with which they seemed well satisfied.

Father Tucker said he thought it would be wisdom to publish our propositions in all the Catholic papers and lay the matter plainly before their people.

Hopeful Prospect of Catholic Purchase.

He should also think it advisable for the Catholic bishop to send a competent committee to ascertain the value of our property, etc., etc. At the same time they will use all their influence to effect a sale as speedily as possible.

[Page 540]

Father Tucker thought they had men in St. Louis, New York and other cities, who could soon raise the amount we want, but the time is so very short he does not know whether it can be done so soon.

He asked if we would be willing to have our propositions published in their papers.

I answered that we would have no objections, providing it was understood that we reserved the right to sell when we had an opportunity.

Father Hamilton wished to ascertain upon what conditions they could obtain two of our public buildings, one for a school and one for a church. They intended to write to the bishop, and wished to be able to supply him with some information on this subject,

Brigham Young’s Comment on the Proposed Catholic Purchase.

I said I was well aware that there were many men in the Catholic Church who could furnish all the money we wanted immediately, but I supposed it was with them as it was with a Mr. Butler, a wealthy banker, who, when asked, why he did not sign off more bills, replied it was a good deal of trouble to sign off bills!

Perhaps it is too much trouble to dig their money out of their vaults, but I wished it distinctly understood that while we make liberal propositions to dispose of our property, we must have the means to help ourselves away.

I said I would like to add a note to our proposals before they are presented for publication, to this effect, that if a party agree to them, we will lease them the Temple for a period of from five to thirty-five years, at a reasonable price, the rent to be paid in finishing the unfinished parts of the Temple, the wall around the Temple block and the block west of the Temple, and keeping the Temple in repair.

The council agreed to the amendment, which was accordingly added to the proposals, and handed to Father Tucker.

[Page 541]

Father Tucker gave much encouragement that an arrangement would speedily be entered into to accomplish the sale of our property; both of the gentlemen seemed highly pleased with the Temple and city.

Three p.m., Sisters Mary Ann Young, Vilate Kimball and Elizabeth Ann Whitney commenced administering the ordinances in the Temple [Dec. 10, 1845].

We consecrated oil.

Acquittal of Sheriff Backenstos for the Killing of Frank A. Worrell

News has arrived that Sheriff Backenstos, who went to Peoria in charge of Henry W. Miller, coroner of Hancock county, and was tried before Judge Purple on the charge of the ‘murder’ of Frank A. Worrell, was acquitted. The moral atmosphere around the judge was so different, than when at Carthage, that in all his charges and rulings, he appeared like another judge, and as though he had never been afflicted with mobocratic mania.

The jury said if there had been no witnesses only on the part of the state, it would not have required more than two minutes to have made up their verdict. There are two of the mob witnesses in jail for perjury and Backenstos is gone to Springfield to request the governor to withdraw his troops.

Completion of the Temple East Room for Giving Endowments.

At 3:45 p.m., we completed the arrangements of the east room, preparatory to giving endowments.

The following persons were present on this occasion, viz.;

Myself and wife, Mary Ann;
Heber C. Kimball and wife, Vilate;
Orson Hyde and Nancy Marinda;
Parley P. Pratt and Mary Ann;
John Taylor and Leonora;
George A. Smith and Bathsheba W.;
Willard Richards;
Amasa Lyman and Mariah Louisa;
John E. Page and Mary;
John Smith and Clarissa;
Mother Lucy Smith;
Newel K. Whitney and Elizabeth Ann;
George Miller and Mary Catharine;
William W. Phelps and Sally;
John M. Bernhisel;
Alpheus Cutler and Lois;
Levi Richards;
Reynolds Cahoon and Thirza;
William Clayton;
Lucien Woodworth and Phebe;
Orson Spencer and Catharine C.;
Agnes M. Smith;
Mercy R. Thompson;
Mary Smith.

[Page 542]

Attic Rooms of the Temple.

The main room of the attic story is eighty-eight feet two inches long and twenty-eight feet eight inches wide. It is arched over, and the arch is divided into six spaces by cross beams to support the roof. There are six small rooms on each side about fourteen feet square. The last one on the east end on each side is a little smaller.

The first room on the south side beginning on the east is occupied by myself, the second by Elder Kimball, the third by Elders Orson Hyde, Parley P. Pratt and Orson Pratt; the fourth by John Taylor, George A. Smith, Amasa Lyman and John E. Page; the fifth by Joseph Young and Presidents of Seventies; the sixth, a preparation room.

On the north side, the first east room is for Bishop Whitney and the lesser priesthood, the second is for the high council, the third and fourth for President George Miller and the high priests’ quorum, the fifth the elders’ room, and the sixth the female preparation room.

Commencement of General Administering Temple Ordinances.

Four-twenty-five p.m., Elder Heber C. Kimball and I commenced administering the ordinances of endowment [Dec. 10, 1845].

Five o’clock, Isaac Morley and his wife Lucy, Joseph Fielding, Joseph C. Kingsbury and Cornelius P. Lott came in.

[Page 543]

Nine-thirty p.m., we assembled for prayers, Amasa Lyman was mouth.

We continued officiating in the Temple during the night until three-thirty a.m. of the 11th.

The following were administered to:

Willard Richards;
Heber C. Kimball and his wife, Vilate;
George A. Smith and Bathsheba W.;
Orson Hyde and Nancy Marinda;
John Smith and Clarissa;
Newel K. Whitney and Elizabeth Ann;
Brigham Young and Mary Ann;
William W. Phelps and Sally;
Parley P. Pratt and Mary Ann;
Amasa Lyman and Mariah Louisa;
George Miller and Mary Catharine;
John Taylor and Leonora;
Lucien Woodworth and Phebe;
John E. Page and Mary;
Joseph C. Kingsbury;
Mary Smith, widow of Hyrum;
Agnes Smith, widow of Don Carlos.

Thursday, 11.—Elder Heber C. Kimball and I went to Joseph Kingsbury’s and ate breakfast and returned to the Temple.

Elder Orson Pratt returned from his eastern mission, bringing four hundred dollars worth of Allen’s revolving six-shooting pistols (alias pepper boxes).

I officiated in the Temple with the brethren of the Twelve. We administered the ordinances of endowment to:

Isaac Morley and his wife, Lucy;
Orson Spencer and Catharine C.;
Joseph Young;
Alpheus Cutler and Lois;
Reynolds Cahoon and Thirza;
William Clayton and Ruth;
Cornelius P. Lott and Permelia;
Mother Lucy Smith and Mercy R. Thompson.

[Page 544]

At eight a.m., we assembled for prayer, Elder John E. Page was mouth. After which I called the Twelve and bishops together and informed them that I had received a letter from Brother Samuel Brannan, stating that he had been at Washington and had learned that the secretary of war and other members of the cabinet were laying plans and were determined to prevent our moving west: alleging that it is against the law for an armed body of men to go from the United States to any other government.

Extermination Proposed.

They say it will not do to let the Mormons go to California nor Oregon, neither will it do to let them tarry in the states, and they must be obliterated from the face of the earth.

We prayed that the Lord would defeat and frustrate all the plans of our enemies, and inasmuch as they lay plans to exterminate this people and destroy the priesthood from off the earth, that the curse of God may come upon them, and all the evil which they design to bring upon us, may befall themselves; and that the Lord would preserve the lives of his servants and lead us out of this ungodly nation in peace.

I said we should go out from this place in spite of them all, and the brethren all felt that God would deliver us from the grasp of this ungodly and mobocratic nation.

Brother Amasa Lyman and I tarried in the Temple all night.

Friday, 12.—In company with my brethren of the Twelve I officiated in the Temple until midnight.

Orson Pratt and his wife, Sarah Marinda, the First Presidency of the Seventy and their wives and others numbering in all twenty-eight males and twenty-seven females received the ordinances of endowment.

Several tarried in the Temple all night.

Saturday, 13.—We continued officiating in the Temple; twenty-five males and twenty females were administered unto.

[Page 545]

Rules Drafted for Order in the Temple.

I drafted rules for the preservation of order in the House of the Lord.

Courts of Springfield Modified Toward the Saints.

News arrived from Springfield that Lucien B. Adams, son of the late Judge Adams, has effected a complete revolution in the minds of the inhabitants of Springfield, so much so, that Judge Pope is convinced that Elder Turley is imprisoned through persecution and says he shall discharge him when he arrives at Springfield.

Sunday, 14.—The Twelve and others with our wives met in the attic story of the Temple.

After prayer and singing, Elders Isaac Morley and Charles C. Rich administered, and we partook of the sacrament.

Rules for Establishment of Order for the House of the Lord.

I introduced the subject of establishing rules for the preservation of order in the House of the Lord which were agreed to and ordered to be printed.

* * * * * * * * *

The Prophet Left the People Uninformed on Some Matters.

There is too much covetousness in the church, and too much disposition amongst the brethren to seek after power and has been from the beginning, but this feeling is diminishing and the brethren begin to know better. In consequence of such feelings Joseph [Smith] left the people in the dark on many subjects of importance and they still remain in the dark. We have got to rid such principles from our hearts.

Proper Order of Laying Temple Cornerstones.

I referred to the manner in which the corner stones of this Temple were laid as published in the Times and Seasons, and said that the perfect order would have been for the presidency of the stake to lay the first or southeast corner; the high council the second or southwest corner; the bishops the northeast corner; but the high priests laid the southwest corner, though they had no right to do it.

[Page 546]

I spoke of the brethren making objections to persons being permitted to receive the ordinances, and added, that when objections were made I should feel bound to determine whether the person making the objections was a responsible person, and if he is not, I should do as I pleased about listening to the objections; but if he was a responsible person I should listen to them.

To constitute a man responsible he must have the power and ability not only to save himself but to save others; but there are those who are not capable of saving themselves and will have to be saved by others.

When a man objects to another receiving the ordinances he becomes responsible to answer to God for that man’s salvation; and who can tell but if he received the ordinances he would be saved, but if we refuse to give him the means he cannot be saved and we are responsible for it.

There is no law to prevent any man from obtaining all the blessings of the priesthood if he will walk according to the commandments, pay his tithes and seek after salvation, but he may deprive himself of them.

After much profitable instruction we united in prayer, Orson Hyde being mouth.

Meeting adjourned for one week.

Two p.m., many of those who had received their ordinances the past week met and received instructions from Elders Parley P. Pratt and William W. Phelps.

The Twelve met and read some letters, also an account of Sheriff Backenstos’ travel from the Peoria Register.

We went down to the lower room and counseled on the arrangement of the pulpits.

I remained in the Temple all night.

Meeting in England.

Elder Wilford Woodruff attended a special conference of the churches in the British Isles in the Hall of Science, Manchester.

10,956 members were represented; including 8 high priests, 392 elders, 590 priests, 311 teachers, and 188 deacons; 1570 were baptized since April last.

[Page 547]

Administrations in the Temple.

Monday, 15.—The ordinances of endowment were administered to sixty-four brethren and sisters.

The Twelve and others officiated.

Tuesday, 16.—I have been busy in the Temple dictating the order of business, appointing brethren to officiate in the various departments, and giving much instruction at different intervals; Elder Kimball assisted me. Sixty-nine brethren and sisters received their ordinances.

Wednesday, 17.—We continued our labors in the Temple, administered the ordinances of endowment to sixty-nine brethren and sisters.

Ten twenty-five p.m., eighteen persons assembled in my room and joined with me in prayer.

My son, Joseph A., remained with me in the Temple all night.

Letters to Government Officials Anent Movement of the Saints to the West.

Letters were written to Stephen A. Douglas, M. C., J. P. Hoge, M. C., Wm. S. Marcy, Secretary of War, John Wentworth, M. C., and John Chapman in relation to our movement to the west, in consequence of learning that attempts were made to induce government to prevent our removal.

Thursday, 18.—Sixty-six persons were administered to in the Temple. I retired to bed about midnight.

Anxiety for Continuance of Temple Ordinances.

In consequence of the great pressure of business during the past week, it had been decided to devote Saturday to the purpose of washing robes and garments used, but there being a general desire in the minds of all those officiating in the ordinances that the work should not cease, it was determined that the clothes should be washed during the night.

Temple Workers Appointed.

Friday, 19.—I appointed the following elders to officiate and labor in the Temple today:

Heber C. Kimball, George Miller,
George A. Smith, Phineas H. Young,
Joseph Young, Lucius N. Scovil,
Aaron Johnson, John Smith,
Wm. W. Phelps, Jedediah M. Grant,
Hosea Stout, John Scott,
Wm. Crosby, Charles C. Rich,
A. O. Smoot, Daniel Garn,
Erastus Snow, John L. Butler,
Jesse D. Harmon, John Brown,
Orson Hyde, Alexander McRae,
Amasa Lyman, Benj. L. Clapp,
Orson Pratt, Franklin D. Richards.

[Page 548]

7 p.m., I met with the Twelve in Elder Kimball’s room for prayer; after which we counseled on the propriety of sending certain brethren to England.

Ninety-eight persons received ordinances.

I remained in the Temple.

Reading of Col. John Fremont’s Works.

Saturday, 20.—Beautiful morning. I dictated the arrangements for the day. Afterwards, with a few of the Twelve and others heard F. D. Richards read Fremont’s Journal, giving an account of his travels to California.

We considered it prudent to devote today to cleaning and washing, and suspend operations in the Temple; but on account of the anxiety of the saints to receive their ordinances, the brethren and sisters volunteered to wash clothes every night. Ninety-five persons received their ordinances.

Sunday, 21.—According to appointment on Sunday last, a meeting was held in the Temple today of some of those who had received their ordinances.

Seventy-five persons were present.

Elder Heber C. Kimball presiding.

Sacrament Administered in the Temple.

The sacrament was administered by Father John Smith and Bishop George Miller. Elders George A. Smith and Heber C. Kimball preached, others made a few remarks confirming what had been said.

Elder John Taylor was mouth in prayer.

Meeting dismissed at 2:10 p.m.

[Page 549]

Three p.m., many others who had been invited met according to appointment.

Elders Amasa Lyman and Heber C. Kimball preached.

Provision Made for the Seventy in the Temple.

At ten a.m., the seventies met in the Music Hall. The thirty-second quorum of seventies was organized; and arrangements made to finish an upper room in the Temple for the benefit of the seventies.

Monday, 22.—I stayed in the Temple last night and early this morning gave direction for the arrangements of the day, assisted by George Miller, 3 as the day was set apart more especially for the high priests.

One hundred and six persons received ordinances.

Tuesday, 23.—Early this morning the drying house of Captain Charles C. Rich’s Emigrating Co. No. 13 was burned to the ground, consuming $300.00 worth of wagon timber.

The high council met in the Temple for prayer.

United States Authorities Arrest Brigham Young.

One-five p.m., Almon W. Babbitt came into the Temple and informed me that there were some federal officers from Springfield accompanied by several of the state troops in the city for the purpose of arresting some of the Twelve, especially Amasa Lyman and myself.

It was soon reported that they were at the door of the Temple and were intending to search it. George D. Grant, my coachman, went below and drove my carriage up to the door as if he was waiting for me to come down.

The Bogus Brigham Incident.

William Miller put on my cap and Brother Kimball’s cloak and went downstairs meeting the marshal and his assistants at the door, as he was about getting into my carriage the marshal arrested him, on a writ from the United States court, charging him with counterfeiting the coin of the United States. Miller told him there must be some mistake about it, as he was not guilty of anything of the kind, but the marshal insisted it was right. Miller desired the marshal to go down to the Mansion where he could get counsel and ascertain if the proceedings were legal. On reaching the Mansion they went into a private room where Esq. Edmonds examined the writ and pronounced it legal. Miller gave Edmonds the name of four witnesses for subpoena for him, and asked the marshal to remain until morning; he consented, but soon got uneasy and said he must go to Carthage. Miller then inquired if he would wait three quarters of an hour until he could get his witnesses, but in fifteen minutes he said he must go, and would wait no longer. Miller got into his carriage, Esq. Edmonds rode with the marshal’s guard and they started for Carthage, Miller protesting there was some mistake about it, for he certainly was not guilty of any such things as were charged in the writ: on the way to Carthage the marshal was very social, and remarked that the people had got quite a joke upon him for letting Turley give him the dodge. As they approached Carthage the troops began to whoop and holloa and went into town in high glee, performing the journey which was eighteen miles in two hours.

[Page 550]

The marshal put up at Hamilton’s Tavern, and the rumor soon spread through the town that Brigham Young was in the custody of the marshal at Hamilton’s. Among others, George W. Thatcher, county commissioner’s clerk, who was well acquainted with Miller came into the tavern to see me. The marshal at his request took Miller into a private room. After a little conversation one of the guards came in and the marshal went out. The marshal soon returned and said to Mr. Miller, ‘I am informed you are not Mr. Young;’ ‘Ah!’ exclaimed Miller, ‘then if I should prove not to be Mr. Young, it would be a worse joke on you than the Turley affair,’ he replied, ‘I’ll be damned if it won’t.’

The marshal asked Miller if his name was Young, he answered, ‘I never told you my name was Young, did I?’ ‘No,’ replied the marshal, ‘but one of my men professed to be acquainted with Mr. Young, and pointed you out to me to be him.’ William Backenstos was called in and he told them William Miller was not Brigham Young. Another man came, and said he could swear Miller was not Brigham Young. The marshal said he was sorry, and asked Miller his name, he replied, ‘it is William Miller’.

[Page 551]

The marshal left the room and soon returned accompanied by Edmonds who was laughing heartily at him. Edmonds inquired if he had anything more to do with ‘Mr. Young’. The marshal replied that he did not know that he had anything further to do with Mr. Miller.

Eighty-seven persons received the ordinances.

Prayer and Retirement from Enemies.

Seven-thirty p.m., I met with the Twelve in prayer, and thanked the Lord for deliverance from the snares of our enemies.

Eight-twenty, I left the Temple disguised and shortly after Brothers Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith and Amasa Lyman left, to elude the vexatious writs of our persecutors.

Wednesday, 24.—All the Twelve have been absent from the Temple the greater part of this day except Orson Pratt. One hundred twenty-two persons received the ordinances.

At 11:20, Elder Heber C. Kimball and I returned to the Temple and remained all night.

Aftermath of the “Bogus Brigham” Incident.

William Miller remained last night at Carthage at Jacob B. Backenstos’. Miller said he could not sleep being interrupted by Edmonds’ continued roars of laughter at the marshal’s discomfiture.

Miller saw two of the marshal’s guards, one of whom threatened his life. Miller came in with the stage, the driver told him that the officers said it would be like searching for a needle in a hay mow now, to undertake to find Brigham Young in Nauvoo.

Thursday, 25.—12:15 p.m., George D. Grant brought word that the United States marshal is in the city again. Elder Kimball sent a message to him by Elder Grant, and at 1:15 Elder Kimball and I left the Temple.

[Page 552]

Six p.m., the high council met for prayer in room No. 4; the high priests met in room No. 8.

At twenty minutes before six, Amasa Lyman, George A. Smith, Orson Hyde, and John Taylor went into the Temple, at 6:10 Parley P. Pratt and Orson Pratt, and at 6:18 Brother Heber C. Kimball and I went in.

The Twelve met in my room for counsel and prayer. After considerable conversation about the western country we united in prayer: George A. Smith was mouth.

One hundred seven persons received their ordinances. The business of the day closed at twenty minutes past ten o’clock, and notice was given that no more washings and anointings would be attended to at present. Brother Kimball and I, with some few others, remained in the Temple all night.

Instructions of Brigham Young on Temple Procedure.

Friday, 26.—Elders Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt and I were present in the Temple this morning and a few of those who had been officiating; I called them together in the east room about 11:30 a.m., and told them there would be no business done today and that they were all dismissed except the two Brothers Hanson, and three brethren for officers.

I said we shall have no more anointing at present, and if the brethren do not get anything more than they have already received, they have got all they have worked for in building this house; and if there is any more to be received it is because the Lord is merciful and gracious.

The high council and high priests will meet together once a day as usual for prayer.

Two hundred sixty-eight high priests were reported to have received their endowments.

I further remarked, that when we began again we should pay no respect to quorums. Every man that comes in, is washed and anointed by good men and it makes no difference. Every man that gets his endowments, whether he is a high priest or seventy may go into any part of the world and build up the kingdom if he has the keys. We have been ordained to the Melchizedek priesthood which is the highest order of the priesthood, and it has many branches or appendages.

[Page 553]

I said, my feelings were to rest a few days and let the Temple rest, and when we commenced work again I would make a selection of hands who will remain and officiate daily. No persons will be allowed to come in unless they are invited, and I shall feel insulted if they remain here. I felt it impressed upon me to rest a few days and make these regulations, and as our oil is done we cannot do much anyway.

Six p.m., the Twelve, the high council, the high priests and the Presidents of Seventies met for prayer, each quorum in their own apartment.

Sheriff Backenstos informed me that the United States deputy marshal was in town with writs for the Twelve and Brother George Miller.

Eight p.m., Elder Kimball and I left the Temple.

Saturday, 27.—This morning was a very pleasant one, moderately cold, the sun shining clear and bright in the heavens.

Orson Pratt was the only one of the Twelve present in the Temple.

A U.S. Deputy Marshal et.al Visit the Temple.

Ten-fifteen a.m., the United States Deputy Marshal Roberts, went to the Temple in company with Almon W. Babbitt and searched for the Twelve and others. He was freely admitted to every part of the Temple, to which he desired access; he went into the tower, on to the roof, into the attic story and while viewing the city from the tower he expressed his astonishment at its magnificence and extent and said considering the unfavorable circumstances with which the people had been surrounded it seemed almost impossible that so much should have been accomplished. He passed through the various departments into the east room where he very intently examined the portraits, and made inquiries as to whose they were.

[Page 554]

On entering the attic hall he was requested to take off his boots and uncover his head, to which he complied; after remaining about half an hour he departed.

About two p. m., the marshal returned accompanied by a gentleman whom he introduced as from New Orleans, and Sheriff Backenstos. They visited the middle room and the tower and departed after about half an hour.

Letter of Emma Smith to New York Sun.

Dr. Bernhisel went to the Temple about one p.m. and borrowed the New York Sun of December 9, 1845, which contains a letter said to have been written by Emma Smith, to the editor.

Orson Pratt Makes Astronomical Observations from the Temple.

Lewis Robbins is cleaning and putting in order the washing rooms and furniture, Peter Hanson is translating the Book of Mormoninto the Danish language, Elisha Averett is doorkeeper, John L. Butler, fireman, David Candland and L. R. Foster, clerks. Orson Pratt has been engaged in making astronomical calculations. From several observations he makes the latitude of Nauvoo 40 35′ 48″ north.

In the evening I went to the Temple and met with Brothers Heber C. Kimball, Parley P. Pratt, Orson Pratt, Amasa Lyman and George A. Smith.

We retired to my room for prayer at six-forty-five. Elder John Taylor came in and joined us. Elder Heber C. Kimball was mouth. Elder Hyde arrived after prayers, and informed us he could not come at the hour as the officers were watching his house.

Nauvoo High Council in Prayer.

The high council met and prayed for me and all the Twelve, that we might be preserved from our enemies that the faithful saints may be permitted to receive all the ordinances of the Lord’s House—that the Lord would bless the quorums, and for several sick persons.

[Page 555]

High Priests in Prayer.

The high priests met in rooms Nos. 6 and 8 and prayed that those persons who are seeking our hurt may find themselves hedged up—for deliverance from bondage—means to remove, that I and all the quorums in the church may be sustained—for the sick—Elders Woodruff, Grouard [in the Pacific Islands] and all the missionaries on the globe, etc.

The Presidency of the Seventy in Prayer.

The First Presidency of the Seventies met for prayer.

After prayers a general conversation ensued, in which the Twelve and bishops, J. M. Grant, and several others took part. The visit of the marshal and the emigration to California were the prominent topics. Elder Parley P. Pratt read from Hastings’ account of California.

The names of Other Temple Workers Given.

Nine-thirty-five the Twelve met in council and selected the names of persons who would be called upon to labor in the Temple the ensuing week.

The list is as follows, viz.:

Joseph Young, Lorenzo Snow,
Abraham O. Smoot, Lewis Robbins,
Wm. Crosby, Benj. L. Clapp,
Henry Harriman, Charles C. Rich,
J. M. Grant, William Snow,
Erastus Snow, Ezra T. Benson,
Orson Spencer, Franklin D. Richards,
Willard Snow, Elisha Averett,
John L. Butler.

The above in addition to those of the Twelve who will be present are considered sufficient to perform the work.

Elders Heber C. Kimball, Amasa Lyman, George A. Smith, Newel K. Whitney, and a few others remained in the Temple all night.

A Sacramental Meeting Held in the Temple.

Sunday 28.—About two hundred of the brethren and sisters met at ten-thirty a.m. in the attic story of the Temple, some of the side rooms were filled, and the curtains withdrawn.

[Page 556]

After singing and prayer, I addressed the meeting.

The sacrament was administered. Elder Kimball made a few remarks. After prayer the meeting was dismissed by benediction from Elder Orson Hyde.

High Council and High Priests in Prayer.

Six p.m., the high council and the high priests met for prayer.

Elder Kimball and I remained in the Temple.

Monday, 29.—Elder Kimball and I assisted by our wives, and the laborers in the Temple, cleaned up and arranged the furniture in the rooms.

Dragoons from Carthage at Nauvoo.

Four dragoons came in from Carthage and searched Nauvoo for hogs, said to have been stolen from Mr. Hibbard.

Elders George A. Smith and Amasa Lyman revised history.

Elder Parley P. Pratt read Fremont’s Journal to Brother Kimball and me.

Report of Mission to Society Islands.

Three-fifteen p.m., Elder Noah Rogers just arrived from his mission to the Society Islands, in the South Pacific Ocean; he was accompanied by Mr. Tower, a fellow passenger on board ship, whom he baptized. He brings a favorable report of the progress of the gospel on those Islands. He came on foot from Paducah on the Ohio river.

1000 Received Ordinances to this Date.

Three-forty, a company numbering twelve commenced receiving their ordinances; this makes 1000 who have received the ordinances.

Six p.m., the high council, the high priests and the seventies met for prayer.

The Twelve in Prayer.

The Twelve met for prayer. We prayed for deliverance from our enemies, and that we might be spared to give the faithful saints their endowments, Orson Hyde being mouth.

I spent an hour reading, and with Brothers Kimball and Lyman remained in the Temple all night.

Tuesday, 30.—At eight-ten a.m., commenced to administer the ordinances. Elders Heber C. Kimball Parley P. Pratt, George A. Smith, Amasa Lyman Joseph Young and myself consecrated oil.

[Page 557]

Departure of the Marshall from Nauvoo.

[Page 556]

Eleven-thirty, Almon W. Babbitt reported that the marshal had left for Springfield, and there would probably be no more danger of writs for the present.

[Page 557]

Eighty-eight persons received ordinances.

Pioneer Company of 1000 for the West.

Elder Parley P. Pratt has been engaged part of the time in forming a schedule for a Pioneer Company of 1000 men to precede the body of emigrants, to find a proper location and put in seed early in the summer.

Recreation in the Temple.

The labors of the day having been brought to a close at so early an hour, viz.: eight-thirty, it was thought proper to have a little season of recreation, accordingly Brother Hanson was invited to produce his violin, which he did, and played several lively airs accompanied by Elisha Averett on his flute, among others some very good lively dancing tunes. This was too much for the gravity of Brother Joseph Young who indulged in dancing a hornpipe, and was soon joined by several others, and before the dance was over several French fours were indulged in. The first was opened by myself with Sister Whitney and Elder Heber C. Kimball and partner. The spirit of dancing increased until the whole floor was covered with dancers, and while we danced before the Lord, we shook the dust from off our feet as a testimony against this nation.

Other Forms of Entertainment—Singing in Tongues.

After the dancing had continued about an hour, several excellent songs were sung, in which several of the brethren and sisters joined. The ‘Upper California’ was sung by Erastus Snow, after which I called upon Sister Whitney who stood up and invoking the gift of tongues, sang a beautiful song of Zion in tongues. The interpretation was given by her husband, Bishop Whitney, and me, it related to our efforts to build this house to the privilege we now have of meeting in it, our departure shortly to the country of the Lamanites, their rejoicing when they hear the gospel and of the ingathering of Israel.

[Page 558]

I spoke in a foreign tongue; likewise, Brother Kimball.

After a little conversation of a general nature I closed the exercises of the evening by prayer.

Six p.m., the high council, and two companies of high priests met for prayer.

Readings of the “West” and Selection of Locations for the Saints.

Wednesday, December 31, 1845.—Elder Heber C. Kimball and I superintended the operations in the Temple, examined maps with reference to selecting a location for the saints west of the Rocky Mountains, and reading various works written by travelers in those regions; also made selections of names of persons to be invited to receive their endowments.

Eighty-four persons were received into the Temple.

Six p. m,, the high council, high priests, and seventies met in their respective rooms and prayed.

Church Publications For the Period

During the year 1845 there was published the Times and Seasons, fortnightly, octavo, edited by John Taylor, Nauvoo, Illinois.

The Nauvoo Neighbor, weekly, folio, edited by John Taylor, Nauvoo, Illinois.

The Millennial Star, fortnightly, octavo, edited by Wilford Woodruff and Thomas Ward, Liverpool.

The Prophet, weekly, folio, edited by Samuel Brannan, New York, which ended May 24th and was succeeded by

The New York Messenger, July 25th, quarto, edited by Parley P. and Orson Pratt.

Proclamation of the Twelve to the Kings of the World, pamphlet, 8 vol. 16 pages, written by Parley P. Pratt, and published by Wilford Woodruff, Liverpool.

[Page 559]

Speech of Elder Orson Hyde, delivered at Nauvoo upon the course and conduct of Sidney Rigdon.

The Voice of Truth, containing some of the public writings, and a synopsis of a sermon of President Joseph Smith, as reported by Thomas Bullock, Nauvoo.

Account of the Murder of Generals Joseph and Hyrum Smith, by William M. Daniels, Nauvoo.

A Dialogue Between Joseph Smith and the Devil, which first appeared in the New York Herald, by Elder Parley P. Pratt.

Prophetic Almanac, by Orson Pratt, New York.”

Chapter 37.

1. This was Arch-Bishop Purcell who held a notable public debate with Alexander Campbell at Cincinnati in 1837, it was known as “The Battle of the Giants”! “Authority of the Catholic Church” was the subject of the debate.

2. This was Thomas H. Owen the English Communist, temporarily in the United States to establish his system.

3. Brother Miller was president of the high priests.