The Clinton F. Larson Poetry Contest
We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 Clinton F. Larson Poetry Contest
We are happy to announce the Clinton F. Larson Poetry Contest for 2017.
Prizes for the Clinton F. Larson Poetry Contest
The contest is open to BYU graduates, BYU graduate students, full-time BYU employees, and subscribers to BYU Studies Quarterly. Employees of BYU Studies, members of the editorial and advisory boards, and their immediate families may not enter the contest. Current BYU undergraduate students are likewise not eligible for this contest but are encouraged to submit their work to other contests sponsored by the university. References above to "BYU" include BYU-Idaho and BYU-Hawaii.
Authors who received a Clinton F. Larson Poetry award in 2016 are ineligible to submit in 2017.
Poets may submit up to three poems for consideration. For publication formatting reasons, poems should not exceed thirty-five lines, not including the title but including lines between stanzas.
Entries should be accompanied by a cover page that includes:
- Author's name
- Mailing address
- Email Address
- Phone number
- Statement of eligibility
- year of the author's graduation from BYU with college and degree or
- position, if employed full time at BYU, or
- a statement that the entrant subscribes to BYU Studies Quarterly.
- Title of each poem
Neither the name of the author nor any other identifying information should appear in the poems themselves, including document headers and footers. Submissions without the requested cover page and information will be rejected unread.
BYU Studies has the right of first refusal to publish all entries. We do not accept poems that have been published or are under consideration elsewhere, that have previously won any award from another contest, or that may be the property of another publisher. Do not simultaneously submit your poem to our contest and to any other writing contest. Authors may not submit contest entries for consideration to any other contest or publication until the Clinton F. Larson contest results are announced or until receiving confirmation that the poem will not be published in BYU Studies Quarterly. As a general policy, poems published in BYUSQ are chosen from contest entries.
All entries must be received by email or postmarked on or before January 31, 2017.
- To submit by email (preferred), please attach a separate file for each entry. The cover page may be in the body of the email or attached as a separate document. We prefer files to be submitted as Word documents (.doc or .docx) but will also accept WordPerfect (.wpd) or Portable Document Format (.pdf) files. The subject line of the email should read, "Poetry Contest Entry." Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To submit by regular mail, please include a paper copy of each poem as well as a digital file of the material on a CD or a thumb drive. Mail submissions to:
Provo, UT 84602-4098
Judging will be blind. The judges reserve the right to withhold any award if no entry merits the ratings established.
If you have any questions:
Please call the BYU Studies staff at (801) 422-6691, write to the address above, or send us an email: email@example.com.